Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blog post #10

Education




Do you teach or do you educate?
    This video listed examples of ways to teach and to educate. It ask its audience what they were going to do. It listed out the ways you can just teach which included simply telling someone what to do or not to do and just listing instructions. You can "teach" anything, but can you "educate" your students? The word educator was defined as someone who gives intellectual and moral instructions. Educators are mentors and advisers. The are a guide to all students. In the video it made a good point "Education is kindling of a flame." This video makes you think. 
     When I am a teacher I plan to educate rather than just teach. by doing this I will always provide great and clear instructions to my students. I will also be a great example and mentor at any given time. When a student ask me a question, even if I do not know the answer I will do my best to find the right one. When a student comes to me asking for advice if I can not give it, I will find someone who can help me. I will provide the best education for my students in the best way available.

Don't let them take pencils home

    In this post Tom Johnson argues that pencils are a great tool and they do not lower test scores. He sees that the issue she brings to him is not accurate. He tells her of how he has shown not only the students but as well as the parents how to use the pencil. He sees that in any way these children use the pencil it is somehow a learning opportunity. He feels that just because their parents do not use pencils it does not mean that the children will never use them. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brittany,
    I also believe that educating is important. Educating means being a constant learner. The best thing is for students to feel like you are in the educating process with them, and that makes the good mentor you discussed. As for Mr. Johnson's post, I think you make a good argument. I felt it meant for us to never make assumptions and teach to our students strengths.

    ReplyDelete