Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog post #13




My teacher is an App.
     I chose to read the article by Stephanie Banchero and Stephanie Simon. In this article it explains how many states are going to virtual schools. It explained that two students reacted differently to the online classes. Noah slacked and got side tracked with his work while Allison changed her opinion entirely on the subject of history. She became interested rather than bored. It was different from watching the teacher talk. The article stated that virtual classes are increasing. Although Allison and students like Allison become interested in school, the statistics showed that students with virtual classes scored lower on standardized test. I can see how this can be true. Critics are also worried that children will not know how to work with people because of what they are use to. Students have been put in these school for different reasons such as homeschooling or the fact that parents do not like the school the child is in. The virtual school draws many different groups of children. However, state education officials states that they are not likely to be poor or with special needs. One approach they can use for children in need are hybrid school that involve students seeing the teachers face to face. They have different variations to schools being virtual. Some schools have certain amounts of time in a classroom and others let students choose their schedule. This idea has brought arguments up especially with teachers. The only thing I think I would like about virtual only schools, is that is cuts money cost. Everyone has their own opinion on this issue. As a future teacher, I think that virtually schooling has its advantages and disadvantages. I would be okay with just parts of school being virtual. I think it is important that both students and teachers get the classroom experience. This is very true when it comes to the younger grades. I feel that they need a push to get them started. I think it would be good for some students to have partial virtual classes starting around fifth grade. I also think that the students should have to maintain a certain grade in the course they are taken online in order to continue it. Although this is a good idea, it can create problems as well. I do think it is important for students to experiment with technology, however, the classroom is needed more. It is very important that children are face to face and work together. For the children in higher grades such as junior high and high school, I think that it would be great for the children to do online classes but meet at least 14 hours a week. As you get older I feel that you become more responsible and with having class part time it will help you do your work on time. I know that the main problem I have with online classes is simply forgetting to get on and do it. Sometime my problem is getting online. People feel with online classes you have more time for work and other things. 

1 comment:

  1. Brittany,

    This topic is very interesting and I think it will become more and more relevant as time goes on. How do you think having virtual classes will affect human's ideas of promptness and planning? Does having a virtual class teach good future career skills?

    ReplyDelete