Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog post #3



"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines

Before reading Kelly's post, I also would have said that technology is the most important thing in the future. When I started Edm310 I strongly thought that it was. We have to know how to use technology in the future. Kelly’s four points were very helpful and I found all of them interesting.
    Like Kelly said teachers must be learners and it helped me notice an important fact. As a teacher I will not know everything there is to know and along with my students, I will learn. She made a very good point with the fact that no matter how much effort is given with one teacher, if the child did not learn what he or she was supposed to have learned, the teacher has not taught anything. As a teacher I will strive to make sure the children show they have learned what has been taught. My favorite point to her post was about the technology being used. I think that what you use to teach does not matter if the teaching is not being learned by the student. This also goes along with what you about teaching when a child does not understand it. Kelly's post has made me think on a few things and my opinion, like hers, has been changed.



Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Karl humored me with his post on being an illiterate teacher. He stated we can not teach our students if we do not know ourselves. He says that we must know our technology and be literate of it. I do not believe that technology is  the most important thing. However, I do realize we must be aware of what we have. we also have to be willing to continue our learning as we teach our students. Things continually change and as it changes our students must be aware. Therefore it is our job to help the students continually grow with what they know own technology as well as ourselves. We must keep up to date and encourage the students to do so as well.


Gary's social media count

Watching Gary's count was in a way shocking to me. Every second the count changed. The changes happened quicker than I could blink my eyes. Everything continually went up. People continually get a twitter and or Facebook. Google is giving answers out faster than I can think. One thing that caught my eye, was the fact that there were new internet users. Even people today are just learning to use the internet. My thought was that by now, everyone new about the internet.
This has meaning to my career as a teacher. It means that everything is going to change over time. Within a matter of seconds, things become more advance. As I said before there are even new users to the internet every second. To me, this means, I must be aware of the changes, I have now accepted technology is going to change and I will have to learn it. I must stay up to date with the "new" things.



A vision of students today.

This video says so much. I agree with this video more than any video I have watched so far. The facts stated in this video are true. I can honestly say technology can be a distraction. Like the video states, most students only complete have of reading assigned to them. I am guilty of this. Why? As I begin reading material I become distracted. My phone goes off with a text message of a notification from Facebook. I usually end up with my face in the computer rather than my book.
  Another point made in this video was that we spend so many hours a day doing one certain thing. By the time it is added up, the hours spent doing things, is more than the hours in one day. As a human, we multitask. These days it seems impossible not to. Technology is changing everything. Social networking and emailing is used more than the time we spend studying. As a teacher I would be concerned. If the students are not paying you any attention, nothing is being learned.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, you're on the right track! However, don't forget to proofread your blog post before you publish it. I think a lot of your thoughts can be misunderstood by others because of the minor errors.
    P.s. Great profile picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,
    First of all, I was reading that you have three jobs and attend school! That's crazy and awesome. I have a son, work full time, and go to school so if you have any time management tips, I would love to hear them! I enjoyed reading what videos you liked most and could relate to. Surprisingly, I didn't relate to the "Vision of Students Today" video quite like you did, but I can understand your point of view. I got a little confused towards the end of the first part of your blog post when I was trying to understand what your closing thoughts were, though. Keep up the enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete