Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blog post # 2

Did you know summary

TECHNOLOGY in the future


  Did You Know ?
      The video by  Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod's Did you know? in my opinion was well put together. The "Did you know" question separated each section of facts. Fisch and and McLeod used music in the background that was up beat and helped keep my attention posted on the facts. My attention never left the screen the entire time!
       The facts posted in this video  by Karl and Scott give you something to think about. The fact that only a quarter of the IQ's in India beats the population of the United States makes me think about, how smart are we really? It states that there are more smarter people in India than the people that even exist here. Obviously India has a huge population. As the video progresses it begins talking about the change in time. How jobs and technology progress. Just thinking about how much careers have changed from six years ago makes me wonder what my job as a teacher is going to be like as a teacher after six years into it. Will I have a job in a classroom or will I be teaching on a computer? I can honestly say I am not one of the "1 in 4" workers that have not been at the current job for a year. It amazes me that today, one in eight couple meet online. It makes me realize how much the world of technology is changing. I did not realize so many people use Myspace still, my guess was that everyone had converted to Facebook.Out of the whole video by Fisch and McLeod, my main concern is , How will I be teaching ten years from now? Will I be needed or will a super computer take my job?

Mr. Winkle Wakes
    Mathew Needleman had a great point to his video Mr. Winkle Wakes. I also feel like Mr. Winkle sometime while taking this course. Like him I feel like the technology is to much. Needleman showed many example as to what had changed the 100 years. Like the message said something do not change in 100 years but who is to say it will not in just another ten.
    With that said it brings me to my disagreement with this video. I feel that technology with school is changing everyday. This class is preparing is fro using things on the computer, We have even been told third graders are using the website twitter. I have also personally seen the change within in Baldwin County High School. The children are now using Apple computer do do there work , read there text , and do homework. Books are being replaced with computer and the students are now only required to carry the laptop around. I feel that the classrooms soon will not exist. Maybe in the future students will be taught by the teacher from watching videos in thier computers at home. I do believe that the classroom will change and soon it will be strictly computers in virtual classrooms. 
 The Importance of Creativity
 In the video,  The importance of creativity. Ken Robinson states "We grow out of creativity." It is stressed in the video how important it is for creativity and how it will help us prepare for the future as it becomes. The child that had the creative mind  who drew God , or what she thought is looked like is a perfect example. Just like not knowing what God really looks like, no one know how twenty years from now will be. 
  Robinson also states how arts are not taught or brought up to be as important as a subject such as math. In this lecture he clearly has thought about his audience. with this he has used "creativity" in order to keep his audience's attention.Half way through the video he brings to the point how as kids the things we liked were not something we would end up having a job in.Like he said that statement is wrong these days and I honestly agree with him. Things involving things such as art and music are big time jobs now. This is an example of what was stated in the Did You Know video, the jobs now did not exist six year before. Technology is changing. Another thing that sends my mind thinking is the fact that there are people with degrees without jobs. The degree you have might not be as good for the job as when you went to school for it. Now what do you do? Go back to work on the higher degree. Robinson also has a good point when speaking of talent. People have their own way in discovering things and maybe not even involving intelligence. Along with Ken Robinson I believe that medication is not all the necessary. People learn in there own ways and if that is blocked by medication they may never become who they are capable of being. 
 Cecelia Gaul
    During Cecelia's interview   with Ken he certainly stated something to think about with creativity. I also believe everyone is creative in their own way. When I become a teacher I plan to stress creativity to my students. I want everyone to show how much they know as well as who they are. I believe that the more creative you get , the more you span out. You are subject to become more interested with what is around you and the more you will reach out to learn. With technology, like Mr. Ken says, it is changing and everyone need to become more familiar with it. In my classroom not only do I plan for my children to stay up to date with it, but I plan to as well. 
   Mrs. Davis tells in the video Harness your students how she teaches her students. Just from watching the videos and being in this class i have accepted that time is changing with technology. Like these students i am going to have to learn the many ways with technology. Mrs. Davis encourages her students to learn and also realizes some students are not going to do as well with paper and pen.

2 comments:

  1. I think that Dr. Strange summed it up best when he said to proofread your blog. The message that you are sending is great but the grammar part of it needs some improvement. I know that sometimes when we read our own work, we know what it is suppose to say and that causes us to miss some mistakes. My advice would be to have someone else check over your work and possible give you some input. I am guilty of doing that myself. If I read something that I wrote, usually I know what I meant to say and don't catch the simple errors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The fact that only a quarter of the IQ's in India beats the population of the United States makes me think about, how smart are we really? It states that there are more smarter people in India than the people that even exist here." No, you were a victim of statistics. The top 25% of any sector of India's population is greater than the population of the Unites States BECAUSE India's population is more than four time that of the USA. So 25% of the people in India with two ears exceeds the population of the USA. And the top 25% of students in India (we'll call them honors students) exceed that of the USA. There is no evaluation of the relative abilities of India's students and students in the United States.

    "Out of the whole video by Fisch and McLeod, my main concern is , How will I be teaching ten years from now? Will I be needed or will a super computer take my job?" Interesting, worried about your job at such a young age! How many times will people change careers. Maybe your career should be "change agent".

    "Like him I feel like the technology is to much. Needleman showed many example as to what had changed the 100 years. Like the message said something do not change in 100 years but who is to say it will not in just another ten." PROOFREAD! Too rather than too; examples not example; some things rather than some thing; they not it. And that is only part of one paragraph! (See Ashley's comment). The next paragraph is filled with similar mistakes. I found at least 14 in that paragraph alone!

    "Mrs. Davis tells in the video Harness your students how she teaches her students. Just from watching the videos and being in this class i have accepted that time is changing with technology. Like these students i am going to have to learn the many ways with technology. " Yes, and I also hope you lean to capitalize the pronoun I.

    " I am inspired by her way of teaching and plan to throw thing as my students as well." Really. Carefully read this. What did you intend to say?

    PROOFREAD!

    ReplyDelete